Friday, September 29, 2006

Summer Fun & New Projects

Hey there,

Summer has come and gone and it was a busy one.

I was assistant director on Chris Garetano's short film COTTONMOUTH, which is adapted from the 1980s comic book GORE SHRIEK by Steve Bisette. After a few months of pre-pro, the film was shot late last month. The shoot went very well and just from seeing what was being shot, it's going to be fantastic when released around Halloween. It was a great experience working with Chris, who is one of the most intense, tireless, organized people on this planet. He's given me a lot this year that I don't know what could ever be done to be repaid. Debbie Rochon had a role in the film and was awesome to work with. She's just the coolest, the friendliest, the best. And so is Chris.

There's finally a new project up on the site, and I am glad to showcase it. Over the course of the past year, I had been filming my friend Billy with a little digital camera and we were talking about his early years as a poet and where he would go to write. He was a native of Babylon, so he always went to Argyle Park, which is centered by a big lake. For all Long Island residents, it's right by the Babylon Train Station. We went there on three separate days and shot footage for a documentary. In addition, I also filmed Billy perform at the legendary and soon to be late CBGBs last September. I've been to many of Billy's performances, and there was definitely something special in his performance that night. As I was putting the footage together, I was listening to Billy's CDs to see which music would work best. When I got to "Sonnet For The Sea," it just fit perfectly with the Argyle Park footage and to me, it felt like the words of the song were all that needed to be told. So, the music piece was the end result. I think Billy is an artist that people should pay attention to. He's very articulate, passionate, and has a lot to say. Nobody really listens to the poets anymore. That needs to change.

I can say that as a result of SONNET FOR THE SEA that Billy and I are discussing doing more video projects with his musical pieces in the future.

Till next time, stay cool.

Scott W. Perry
The Colonel

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home