Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Repost: Friends

This was a blog I posted on the first version of the website, on July 20th, that I'd like to show again:

In life, one thing we all share in common is who we choose as friends, and how quickly we know whether we have a casual friend, a friend you only go out on Saturday nights to go drinking, and a friend we know from the first time we meet them, we’ll be at each other’s 75th birthdays.

I have been very fortunate to know quite a few people who I share the latter with, but there are two in particular that I would like to talk about. The first has been my good friend for ten years, Eric. I met Eric working at K-Mart ten years ago in the sporting goods section (that’s right, I was licensed to sell guns by New York state, how’s that for scary?) and we clicked. Eric’s more of a numbers guy and I, well you know, the films, and I remember one particular time where he told me he had never seen “Goodfellas.” WHAT? Immediately, I needed to rectify this and did what I have never done in my life: I let him borrow my tape. Even though Eric is a math major, he has become over the years a film lover and a great observer. He has really understood the art of film and we have found we have virtually the same taste, which is good.

Eric has put up with a lot of my shit over the years, and I mean a pile up to my neck. I admit I am a lot to handle (though I have mellowed over the years), and mentioning in my bio about the group I was associated with in 1995, Eric was briefly a part of that group. The best thing is to get an outsider into a circle of film buffs, because you get to see people for what they truly are. Through thick and thin, no matter what, he has been there for me and just mentioning it here isn’t enough to show how much I truly appreciate what he has done. On a personal note, Eric, no matter what you decide to do, I know you will excel tremendously.

I’ve known Billy Lamont for nine years now, meeting him in 1996 when I was hired at Viacom Networks. Being a 19 year old hired to work with a group of 30 year olds who just survived a massive layoff, it was tough fitting in at first. Billy made me feel welcome immediately and we just hit it off. If there is one word to describe Billy, it is passion. I have never in my life, and probably never will, see someone with the amount of drive and determination that he has, and for good reason. Billy is a fantastic poet. I helped Billy videotape some of his performances in 1997 and 1998, and wished him well as he launched his CD and spent time away touring the world. He even acted in a college project I did that was fun to make even though it didn’t pan out as I’d hope. Live and learn,. No matter how hectic or busy things got for him, he always managed to find time for those he cared about. I’m proud to know that I’m one of them.

Last year I went through a lot of rough times and Billy helped me land back on my feet. Unknowingly, the result was the launch of Slick Devil Entertainment. Billy has just released a book of his poetry, entitled “The Strobe Light Generation” and I was privileged to see him at a book signing last night. We don’t listen to the poets anymore and maybe we should. Then again, in this crazy time we are living in, it’s a perfect time for a voice like Billy’s to be heard. At least it’s a real voice crying out, not one that just harks for publicity and a photo op like we’ve seen oh so much lately. I encourage you all to get his book and take it from me that you will get your money’s worth, because you will have with you pure, unbridled passion. Let me tell you one thing about Billy. Last night was his night. His book signing, performing many poems from his book to a swarm of fans and admirers, and when I approached him to congratulate him, he instead congratulated me about the completion of my first film. He hasn’t had a chance to see it yet, but I know he is so proud of the fact that I’m doing what I love, and I’m not letting anything or anyone get me down.

Both Billy and Eric have said recently that they both admire the fact that I haven’t given up at persuing filmmaking since I’ve known them. I appreciate it that, but it isn’t that I haven’t given up.

It’s because they have never given up on me.

Thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home